Community ‹ Back to full list
5th Annual Coronado SAFE Parenting Conference
Saturday, January 28, 2017
650 D Ave (CoSA Theater)
CoSA Theater at Coronado High School 650 D Avenue Coronado, CA 92118(map)
Thriving in the Instant Gratification Generation: Positive Ways Parents Can Reduce Anxiety & Create Confidence in Children and Teens. Dr. Darlene Sweetland & Dr. Ron Stolberg, award winning authors.
- Raising confident, independent, and thoughtful children
- Helping parents to understand where youth sense of entitlement stems from and how to turn it around.
- Identify the five parent traps that cause adults to unknowingly increase their children's need for instant gratification.
- Offer practical tips and easy-to-implement solutions to address topics relevant to children of all ages.
Coordinating Minds: Inside the Social Lives of Teens Dr. Gail Heyman, Professor of Psychology at UCSD
- Key experiences that children need for healthy social development.
- Common issues and vulnerabilities that arise in the early and late teen years.
- How social media impacts children's social development.
This Years Parent Conference will offer 4 workshops in addition to the amazing keynote speakers. Please select which two (2) workshops you would like to attend.
Workshop 1: Digital Mediation: Practical Strategies for YOUR home John Moffet
3 core topics dealing with internet safety including
- How to keep track of what your kids are doing online, managing your kids digital reputation and your own.
- Understanding trends, highlighting the newest tricks, apps, and websites to keep up with what our kids know and what parents don't!
- How to talk to your kids about technology, what they are and are not using.
Workshop 2: Positive Parenting Solutions Rebecca Rabe, LMFT
- Developmental Stages- Quick overview of the various developmental stages and what is happening developmentally, emotionally, socially with kids.
- Common Themes- Identify the three most common behaviors parents see with their children.
- Solutions for Positive Parenting- Discipline vs. The Development of a Child's Individual Strengths. What can parents do differently to develop their child's ego-strengths, self-esteem, and communication.
Workshop 3: Resiliency Traning & Emotional Regulation FOCUS (Families Over Coming Under Stress) ONE DAY ONLY, THIS DOD RESOURCE WILL BE OPEN TO CIVILIAN FAMILIES.
- Provide interventions to tackle the struggles military and civilian families face regularly including emotional regulation.
- Understand resiliency related to the military and civilian life style and the family stress level contiunuum.
- How to manage behavior and tips and tools to enhance communication within your family structure.
Workshop 4: Decoding Your Teen's Communication.... or lack therof Jen Zajac, MFT
- Teens cycles and patterns and common communication issues.
- Provide parents with tools to reenagage their teens and establish better ways to communicate.
- Learning how to get your teen to open up to you.
Cost: Before Jan 9th $35/person; After $45/person; $50 At The Door
NEW Kids Workshops!
Cost: $20.00 per child
(Limited Scholarships Available for Conference and Kids Workshops, to apply click here)